Friday, March 19, 2010

Lemon Cream Scones and a Jam Fetish


Anyone who knows me knows I have a thing for jam. If I were to ever be known for having a fetish of any kind, it would be a jam one. No matter where I travel--Rome, Madrid, San Francisco, New York, I always have jam on my mind--always on the lookout for a different or exotic flavor I haven't tasted before.  My luggage is always packed with jam finds (this is where extra underwear comes in handy). The picture depicts my latest batch of jams that I must try.  Among the flavors include champagne, green tea, red bean, strawberry with violet, mango lime (my open jar right now which is DA-licious), apricot lavendar (my other open jar right now--also DA-licious), pluot, and passion fruit.  I get giddy thinking of different ways to incorporate some of these flavors into my desserts.  But at the end of the day, the way I enjoy them most is with a scone and a cup of tea.  I am constantly on the lookout for great scones and great scone recipes.  Most of the time, the scone is too sweet for me and doesn't require jam.  That's why I'm so excited to share this scone recipe. They are so light, not overly sweet, and a great vehicle to carry any jam. They're also good on their own too.  The other thing that is so great about this recipe is that there's no butter!  Well, almost none. Only a little butter brushed on the top before baking (yes there is some whipping cream in the recipe but somehow, that doesn't feel as bad). The lemon zest is the key to happiness in this recipe--do NOT omit it!! I also substituted in dried cherries and they were fantastic. Lastly, be sure to serve this with your favorite jam. Sitting down to some afternoon tea as I write....





Lemon Cream Scones
Bon Appetit, 1996

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped dried apricots (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 1/4 cups whipping cream

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Stir in apricots and 1 tablespoon lemon peel. Add whipping cream and stir just until dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together. Form dough into 10-inch-diameter, 1/2-inch-thick round. Cut into 12 wedges.
Transfer wedges to large baking sheet, spacing evenly. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon peel in small bowl. Brush scones with melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake scones until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool slightly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Wrap in foil; store at room temperature.) Serve scones warm or at room temperature.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds fantastic! And remembered me one afternoon at Singapore- high tea at Pan pacific. They served wonderful scones,strawberry jam and of course tea. Everything was fresh and taste heavenly!

    ReplyDelete